From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] S.O.P.A and P.I.P.A and the blackout.
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 23:21:59
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Chris Walters wrote:
5 > On 1/19/2012 05:04 PM, Dale wrote:
6 >> Chris Walters wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>> This is a test. Enigmail has been trying to use a revoked and
9 >>> expired key to sign my messages, lately.
10 >>>
11 >>> Chris
12 >>>
15 >> I have a question now. I got a message from Paul Hartman and
16 >> replied to it, off list, and it was encrypted and I hope my reply
17 >> was too. My question is this. How do you make a email that only
18 >> the sender and receiver can read? As a example. I'm talking to
19 >> a Doctor or a lawyer and I don't want anyone but that person to
20 >> see the email. How do I do that? Can that be done.
21 >
22 > Yes, see below. It looks like you are using a web interface
23 > (Firefox) to send and reply to messages. I would suggest emerging
24 > Thunderbird (emerge -av thunderbird). There is an add on called
25 > Enigmail for this mail client that makes encrypting, signing and
26 > decrypting messages, much easier. You need gnupg, as well.
29 Close. Sort of. I actually use Seamonkey as my emailly program.
32 >> The message that I am repying to appears to be something,
33 >> encypted maybe, but I think anyone on this list that uses the
34 >> tool can read it. Am I correct?
35 >
36 > If the message is encrypted to them, then yes. If not, no. You
37 > need a secret key to decrypt a message that is encrypted, and if
38 > anyone seeing it is not on the list of recipients, they will not
39 > have that key.
42 I'm starting to see this now. When I sign a message, it is public but
43 people are assured that it came from me. Sort of like having a check
44 with a picture ID that matches. :/
47 >> I'm trying to get a full understanding of this thing. Ya'll know
48 >> how I am. lol
49 >
50 > With OpenPGP or PGP/MIME, you would have to share your public key
51 > with the other party - this would allow that party to encrypt
52 > messages to you. You would also have to have the public key of the
53 > other party to encrypt to them.
54 >
55 > For example, if you wanted to encrypt to me, you'd have to retrieve
56 > my public key from a keyserver or I'd have to send it to you. You
57 > would have to either sign a message (and have uploaded your public
58 > key to a keyserver), or send me your public key.
59 >
60 > You could then encrypt a message to me, and you could add yourself
61 > to the recipient list so you could read it. Then, when I received
62 > the message, I would be prompted for my secret key's passphrase -
63 > this would allow decryption of the message. Providing that I
64 > replied to you and chose the "encrypt" option, the entire message,
65 > including any quotes would be encrypted.
66 >
67 > Hope this helps, Chris
68 >
69 > -- Multibooting: wearing two socks of different colors and types,
70 > with two different boots... ;)
74 So, this is why when I want to sign a message it asks me for the
75 password. I thought it was trying to do something wrong. Made me
76 scratch my head.
77
78 Mud is clearing up a bit.
79
80 Dale
81
83
84 - --
85 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood
86 or how you interpreted my words!
87
88 Miss the compile output? Hint:
89 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"