From: Chris Walters <cjw2004d@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] S.O.P.A and P.I.P.A and the blackout.
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 22:47:19
1 On 1/19/2012 05:04 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > Chris Walters wrote:
3 >>
4 >> This is a test. Enigmail has been trying to use a revoked and expired key to
5 >> sign my messages, lately.
6 >>
7 >> Chris
11 > I have a question now. I got a message from Paul Hartman and replied to
12 > it, off list, and it was encrypted and I hope my reply was too. My
13 > question is this. How do you make a email that only the sender and
14 > receiver can read? As a example. I'm talking to a Doctor or a lawyer
15 > and I don't want anyone but that person to see the email. How do I do
16 > that? Can that be done.
17
18 Yes, see below. It looks like you are using a web interface (Firefox) to send
19 and reply to messages. I would suggest emerging Thunderbird
20 (emerge -av thunderbird). There is an add on called Enigmail for this mail
21 client that makes encrypting, signing and decrypting messages, much easier.
22 You need gnupg, as well.
23
24 > The message that I am repying to appears to be something, encypted
25 > maybe, but I think anyone on this list that uses the tool can read it.
26 > Am I correct?
27
28 If the message is encrypted to them, then yes. If not, no. You need a secret
29 key to decrypt a message that is encrypted, and if anyone seeing it is not on
30 the list of recipients, they will not have that key.
31
32 > I'm trying to get a full understanding of this thing. Ya'll know how I
33 > am. lol
34
35 With OpenPGP or PGP/MIME, you would have to share your public key with the
36 other party - this would allow that party to encrypt messages to you. You
37 would also have to have the public key of the other party to encrypt to them.
38
39 For example, if you wanted to encrypt to me, you'd have to retrieve my public
40 key from a keyserver or I'd have to send it to you. You would have to either
41 sign a message (and have uploaded your public key to a keyserver), or send me
42 your public key.
43
44 You could then encrypt a message to me, and you could add yourself to the
45 recipient list so you could read it. Then, when I received the message, I
46 would be prompted for my secret key's passphrase - this would allow decryption
47 of the message. Providing that I replied to you and chose the "encrypt"
48 option, the entire message, including any quotes would be encrypted.
49
50 Hope this helps,
51 Chris
54 Multibooting: wearing two socks of different colors and types, with two
55 different boots... ;)