From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Makeing /dev/rtc1 accessible as soon as possible - how?
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 11:41:50
1 On Sunday 25 Aug 2013 11:35:29 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Paul Colquhoun <paulcol@×××××××××××××××××.au> [13-08-25 12:04]:
3 > > On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 06:04:13 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 > > > Hi,
5 > > >
6 > > > There are two RTCs in my system:
7 > > > /dev/rtc0 and /dev/rtc1
8 > > >
9 > > > rtc0 is not powered by a battery and forgets time/date
10 > > > with system shutdown and rtc1 is a I2C-rtc (DS3231) which
11 > > > is powered by a battery. It is extremly accurate in comparison
12 > > > with rtc0.
13 > > >
14 > > > rtc0 is accessible with system boot - rtc1 is not (current state).
15 > >
16 > > I know this might be obvious, but just in case:
17 > >
18 > > Have you checked to see if the dud RTC can be disabled in the BIOS?
19 > >
20 > > Or completely remove its drivers from the kernel?
21 >
22 > Hi Paul,
23 >
24 > I cannot remove rtc0 since it is integrated into the CPU. I cannot
25 > remove the CPU for various reasons... ;)
26 >
27 > I put the script (see previous mail) into /etc/init.d and call it now
28 > at sysinit times. This works so far...but I still have entries in /sys
29 > and /proc which show 1.1.1970.
30 >
31 > Is there any way to get rid of the need to use "echo..bla..bla" into
32 > files of the sysfs but to give the kernel the needed informations
33 > directly, so rtc1 is available to the kernel...?
34
35 I noticed you mentioned rtc0 is not powered by a battery, but that's what the
36 CMOS battery does. I'm curious why you don't add a new CMOS battery to your
37 MoBo?
38 --
39 Regards,
40 Mick