From: Alecks Gates <alecks.g@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub2 and is the upgrade a tooth puller.
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2012 00:32:16
1 On Jun 30, 2012 7:13 PM, "Dale" <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > > On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 15:24:17 -0500, Dale wrote:
5 > >
6 > >> I still don't like the deal of having to run something after changing
7 > >> the kernel tho. It seems to lilo-ish to me.
8 > > Then how do you manage with GRUB legacy? If you don't have symlinks to
9 > > the kernels and you don't update the config, how do you boot the new
10 > > kernel? You have to update the config, GRUB2 just has an option to do
11 > > this automatically.
15 > It's simple. I open grub.conf and add a entry into it. I do that
16 > manually so I that I know what is changed. I also keep a couple older
17 > entries just in case a kernel gets messed up, has a bug or won't boot
18 > for some reason etc. I don't use symlinks for kernels at all. I been
19 > doing it that way for years and it works very well for me. If something
20 > goes wrong, I know what I did and how to fix it. If I use some script,
21 > I may not know exactly what the script did.
22 >
23 The scripts are there for you to read, and even modify.
24
25 > The key thing is, after I change the grub.conf file, I don't have to run
26 > anything else. It just works. Grub2 does tho. That reminds me of how
27 > lilo does it.
28 >
29 You don't have to run anything after you create grub.conf with Grub2. In
30 fact, you can still manually edit the config file without using the config
31 generation scripts. But the generation scripts are, once again, both
32 readable and editable. I've also never once had them create an improper
33 config. I just use it because it's faster, since it works.
34
35 The only problem I had with Grub2 was the grub2 folder in /boot, as I had
36 previously used it on Ubuntu and was confused (so this was gentoo-specific
37 to me, and I had arrogantly ignored the package output).
38
39 Really, I don't think it's as different as you think. And I, too, manually
40 cp over my kernels after I build them, but only because it never occurred
41 to me to even USE "make install". The next kernel I build I will be trying
42 it!
43
44 Alecks Gates, sent from Android on an HTC G2