From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub2 and is the upgrade a tooth puller.
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2012 00:14:59
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 15:24:17 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> I still don't like the deal of having to run something after changing
5 >> the kernel tho. It seems to lilo-ish to me.
6 > Then how do you manage with GRUB legacy? If you don't have symlinks to
7 > the kernels and you don't update the config, how do you boot the new
8 > kernel? You have to update the config, GRUB2 just has an option to do
9 > this automatically.
13 It's simple. I open grub.conf and add a entry into it. I do that
14 manually so I that I know what is changed. I also keep a couple older
15 entries just in case a kernel gets messed up, has a bug or won't boot
16 for some reason etc. I don't use symlinks for kernels at all. I been
17 doing it that way for years and it works very well for me. If something
18 goes wrong, I know what I did and how to fix it. If I use some script,
19 I may not know exactly what the script did.
20
21 The key thing is, after I change the grub.conf file, I don't have to run
22 anything else. It just works. Grub2 does tho. That reminds me of how
23 lilo does it.
24
25 Dale
26
30 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!