From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] wlan0 config questions
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 15:03:37
1 On 13 April 2010 15:44, Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 09:13, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 07:39:31 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
5 >>
6 >> >   Thanks. that keeps things sane.  Now let's start with simple stuff
7 >> > first, manually connecting to an open access point at the public
8 >> > library.  Listed below are files /etc/conf.d/net, ~/bin/wi_open, and
9 >> > /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf.open.  Assuming that I have /etc/sudoers
10 >> > properly set up, is ~/bin/wi_open the correct incantation?  It copies
11 >> > the appropriate config to /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf and then starts and
12 >> > connects wifi.  I plan to have multiple config files, to cover different
13 >> > situations.
14 >>
15 >> This sounds like an awful lot of work to do something that Wicd will
16 >> handle almost automatically.
19 > Agreed.
20 > After many tries I've found that you really need a network manager like WICD
21 > with netbooks or notebooks. Mobile devices require an agile and easy
22 > interface for networking.
23
24 For PCs you don't typically need anything more than the default Gentoo
25 scripts, but for a laptop wicd, networkmanager and the like will do
26 exactly what you need with no perceptible overhead and the benefit of
27 notifications for when things start bobbing up and down.
28
29 If you already have installed wpa_supplicant I recommend running
30 wpa_gui and enabling disabling any interfaces you care to associate
31 with. Then leave it running in the tooltray for quick access and
32 notifications.
33 --
34 Regards,
35 Mick