From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] wlan0 config questions
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 14:45:01
1 On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 09:13, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 07:39:31 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
4 >
5 > > Thanks. that keeps things sane. Now let's start with simple stuff
6 > > first, manually connecting to an open access point at the public
7 > > library. Listed below are files /etc/conf.d/net, ~/bin/wi_open, and
8 > > /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf.open. Assuming that I have /etc/sudoers
9 > > properly set up, is ~/bin/wi_open the correct incantation? It copies
10 > > the appropriate config to /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf and then starts and
11 > > connects wifi. I plan to have multiple config files, to cover different
12 > > situations.
13 >
14 > This sounds like an awful lot of work to do something that Wicd will
15 > handle almost automatically.
18 Agreed.
19 After many tries I've found that you really need a network manager like WICD
20 with netbooks or notebooks. Mobile devices require an agile and easy
21 interface for networking.
24 Daniel da Veiga