From: Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] filesystems
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 10:41:09
1 "Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto" <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I have not dived in the Linux developers x Hans Reiser battle, so I
4 > don't know which side is right and which side is guilty, but think
5 > that either
6 > A) reiserfs is a good filesystem, but the battle between Hans Reiser
7 > and Linux developers caused people to dislike reiserfs for
8 > non-technical reasons.
9 > or
10
11 The Linux VFS is far from being optimal. I would guess that the real
12 reason for not starting a ZFS port for Linux is the Linux VFS.
13
14 The problem with Linux is that important external interfaces are broken
15 with every new release but that internal kernel interfaces are not evolved.
16 Sun claims e.g. that the changes in the Solaris kernel to allow to support
17 a full blown CIFS in the kernel have been bigger than than the ZFS code
18 size before the change.
19
20 If Linux does not evolve the Linux VFS layer, these battles will never end.
21
22 Jörg
25 EMail:joerg@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
26 js@××××××××××××.de (uni)