From: Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] filesystems
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 00:22:28
1 > I ran ext3 on a dirvish backup server - lasted two days, resierfs is
2 > still going after a couple of years. dirvish REALLY hammers a file
3 > system.
4 >
5 > Participating in a few of these discussions over the years has brought
6 > home to me that YMMV really does apply to filesystems. Your usage, data
7 > profile, power/hardware stability are all variables and any two peoples
8 > experience almost assuredly wont be the same.
9 In this discussion multiple people have defended reiserfs as a safe
10 filesystem. This is novel to me. Reiserfs is always bashed as being an
11 unsafe filesystem, developed with only speed in mind; a filesystem to
12 be used only by childish ricers or in specific situations where
13 filesystem performance is critical. For example, once I tried
14 genkernel (but did not like it and decide to go on with manual kernel
15 maintainance) and this message was in an ewarn
16 ewarn "This package is known to not work with reiser4. If you
17 are running"
18 ewarn "reiser4 and have a problem, do not file a bug. We know it does not"
19 ewarn "work and we don't plan on fixing it since reiser4 is the one that is"
20 ewarn "broken in this regard. Try using a sane filesystem like ext3 or"
21 ewarn "even reiser3."
22 They explicitly claim reiser4 is broken and insane, and their wording
23 implicitly suggests that ext3 is better than reiser3.
24
25 But in this discussion people are saying reiserfs is in fact safer than ext3.
26
27 I have not dived in the Linux developers x Hans Reiser battle, so I
28 don't know which side is right and which side is guilty, but think
29 that either
30 A) reiserfs is a good filesystem, but the battle between Hans Reiser
31 and Linux developers caused people to dislike reiserfs for
32 non-technical reasons.
33 or
34 B) reiserfs is a bad filesystem but for some reason a lot of reiserfs
35 fans appeared in this thread
38 Note: don't talk about the unfortunate horrible story of Hans' family,
39 the details of which we don't know. People were bashing reiserfs (both
40 versions 3 and 4) well before that.