From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] filesystems
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 22:08:15
1 On Tue, 2008-11-25 at 17:24 -0200, Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
2 ...
3 > but the fact that pretty much every linux distribution chooses ext3 by
4 > default suggests it is the safest (at least for simple desktop/laptop
5 > usage), no?
6 >
7 ...
8
9 No, for me ext2 = continual lost data issues from even the smallest
10 glitch. I had (up to a couple of weeks ago ext2 on a freerunner phone -
11 almost daily data problems (a freerunner should be packed in foam - it
12 crashes 2-3 times a day if you use it!), Since using ext3, the problems
13 are drasticly reduced but still occur ever few days. Even VFAT has less
14 problems that ext2, but ext3 is a little better. Note this is using the
15 defaults - this conversation reminds me that I should look at this
16 again.
17
18 The only FS I have lost complete systems (2 laptops, flat batteries when
19 not present) from were ext3, as well as continuous more minor corruption
20 issues (love backups)
21
22 reiserfs has had corruption issues in the past, but is currently very
23 stable. Any issues that have developed have always been fixable with no
24 lost data. I did run into a few repeatable issues with NFS - about 5
25 years ago. None since from this. A couple of minor issues with
26 crashes, easily fixed and some hardware failures.
27
28 I ran ext3 on a dirvish backup server - lasted two days, resierfs is
29 still going after a couple of years. dirvish REALLY hammers a file
30 system.
31
32 Participating in a few of these discussions over the years has brought
33 home to me that YMMV really does apply to filesystems. Your usage, data
34 profile, power/hardware stability are all variables and any two peoples
35 experience almost assuredly wont be the same.
36
37 BillK