From: "W.Kenworthy" <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] filesystems
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 00:46:03
1 ...
2 > I have not dived in the Linux developers x Hans Reiser battle, so I
3 > don't know which side is right and which side is guilty, but think
4 > that either
5 > A) reiserfs is a good filesystem, but the battle between Hans Reiser
6 > and Linux developers caused people to dislike reiserfs for
7 > non-technical reasons.
8 > or
9 > B) reiserfs is a bad filesystem but for some reason a lot of reiserfs
10 > fans appeared in this thread
11 >
12 A is the answer. Hans Reiser is by all accounts a brilliant, eccentric
13 but deeply flawed individual. He did not get on at a personal or
14 professional level with the world in general. It almost seems like
15 ext3/4 were developed to spite him and give alternatives so they would
16 not have to deal with him. Unprofessional words and actions were taken
17 on both sides, but the animosity caused by Hans (and others in response)
18 means that this will take forever to blow over, even with Hans out of
19 the picture.
20
21 There is a huge amount out there on this. There are also may other
22 highly valued developers out there who may also be a little eccentric
23 (to be kind!).
24
25 In the meantime, my opinion is that reiserfs3 is great, ext3 not quite
26 so good, and ext2/4 and reiserfs4 are for those who live on the edge :)
27
28 BillK