From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] filesystems
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 05:05:55
1 W.Kenworthy wrote:
2 > ...
3 >
4 >> I have not dived in the Linux developers x Hans Reiser battle, so I
5 >> don't know which side is right and which side is guilty, but think
6 >> that either
7 >> A) reiserfs is a good filesystem, but the battle between Hans Reiser
8 >> and Linux developers caused people to dislike reiserfs for
9 >> non-technical reasons.
10 >> or
11 >> B) reiserfs is a bad filesystem but for some reason a lot of reiserfs
12 >> fans appeared in this thread
15 > A is the answer. Hans Reiser is by all accounts a brilliant, eccentric
16 > but deeply flawed individual. He did not get on at a personal or
17 > professional level with the world in general. It almost seems like
18 > ext3/4 were developed to spite him and give alternatives so they would
19 > not have to deal with him. Unprofessional words and actions were taken
20 > on both sides, but the animosity caused by Hans (and others in response)
21 > means that this will take forever to blow over, even with Hans out of
22 > the picture.
23 >
24 > There is a huge amount out there on this. There are also may other
25 > highly valued developers out there who may also be a little eccentric
26 > (to be kind!).
27 >
28 > In the meantime, my opinion is that reiserfs3 is great, ext3 not quite
29 > so good, and ext2/4 and reiserfs4 are for those who live on the edge :)
30 >
31 > BillK
36 I'm not expecting a answer but along the lines of a viewpoint in a
37 question form. Why is it that smart, I mean seriously smart, people
38 have the worst social skills? They can invent a super fast CPU, memory
39 chip, hard drive some new chemical, or some other ingenious thing but
40 can't say a kind word if you give them a double dose of Prozac.
41
42 Sort of strange huh?
43
44 Dale