From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] About firefox
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 01:12:43
1 Luigi Pinna schreef:
2 > Alle 21:29, sabato 20 agosto 2005, Holly Bostick ha scritto:
3 > [...]
4 >
5 >>If you go to the Mozilla Localization page at
6 >>http://www.mozilla.org/projects/l10n/mlp_status.html
7 >>
8 >>and there is a project for your language, there should also be a
9 >>website link to the project's site. Any files to localize Firefox
10 >>should be there (at least that's how it worked for the Dutch files).
13 > Yes, there is a language pack for language that I need (Italian, German,
14 > Bulgarian, Brazilian), I knew it...
17 >>You might also want to use the Locale Switcher extension at
18 >>https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=356 to switch
19 >>between locales if you use more than one.
20 >>
21 >>Hope this helps,
22 >>Holly
25 > The problem is to install them: I cannot find something like mozilla
26 > (install languages). I see a windows in the tools menu with the
27 > installed languages... only the en-US.
28 > I ask myself why they don't use the mozilla system: easy and it works
29 > very good!
30 > Any tricks?
31
32 They're .xpi files, yes? The language pack should be. However, all the
33 sites for the languages you're looking for don't seem to have language
34 packs, just full installers.... although I can't read most of these
35 languages well enough to be sure. But I couldn't find any such pack on
36 the German localization site, for example. I did find one of the sp_SP
37 page, though. I am aware that you weren't looking for Spain Spanish, but
38 I had a hope of reading that, since the Lating American Spanish page had
39 a MySQL error and I couldn't view the downloads.
40
41 Anyway.. just click the download link for the relevant *.xpi, and
42 Firefox should offer to install it-- or, more likely, a bar should
43 appear across the top of the window saying that the site is not
44 authorized to install software. In that case, click the "Edit Options"
45 button that appears at the end of the bar at the top of the page, and a
46 dialog will allow you to add the site to the list of authorized
47 installer sites (if you don't want the setting to be permanent, you can
48 remove it later, for security sake), and then click the download/install
49 link again. Now the extension (because it is an extension) should install.
50
51 If it doesn't, then you need to do the exact same thing, but after
52 running Firefox as root. Most extensions install to
53 ~/.mozilla/firefox/wherever (so the user may install them), but some
54 install to /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox (so only root can install them), and
55 atm I don't remember which kind the language pack is. Of course, you
56 could just do what I do and have root change the permissions of the main
57 application plugins folder, so that a user may write to it, because
58 otherwise it's a PITA, but that's just me.
59
60 So, once the language pack is installed, also install the Locale
61 Switcher extension if you haven't (I think that one has to be installed
62 by root as well). When you're done, close and reopen Firefox as root to
63 actually install it the extensions. Then close the root instance, and
64 open a user instance.
65
66 Under the 'Extras' menu, you should now have an entry "Languages". This
67 entry allows you to switch what language the application displays in.
68 Choose your language, then close and reopen Firefox to set it. This is
69 not really all that elegant for 'on the fly' switching, I admit--
70 there's probably a way to specify the language from the command line,
71 but I don't know what it is, sorry.
74 Hope this helps,
75 Holly
76 --