From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] console scrollback (kernel 5.14)
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 22:14:58
1 On 26/09/2021 22:22, Jorge Almeida wrote:
2 > On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 6:24 PM antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >>
4 > Hello, Wol and Dale
5 >> When you rebuild it, get a surge protector and then put a UPS behind
6 >> that ... snag is that's all extra expense :-(
9 > Surge protectors: I googled it and mostly got bad reviews. Do they
10 > _really_work? What would you recommend? It probably should be
11 > something amazon-purchasable! Availability in my country is probably
12 > limited (and overpriced to boot, I bet).
13
14 Surge protectors are tricky. In the UK, our power supply is pretty clean
15 so they're (almost) a waste of time. They should have a status on them,
16 usually they're good for one shock and that's it. The big danger in many
17 places is a lightning hit on overhead power lines. And if it's a storm
18 you can have several hits in quick succession which will overwhelm the
19 protector ...
20 >
21 > UPS: never gave it serious thought, I had the impression there was too
22 > much unclear stuff: for example, is it noisy (does it need a fan)? If
23 > (when) some component needs replacement will I know it before
24 > disaster? And does the replacement require a "qualified technician"? (
25 > Dale's description is not very reassuring!)
26
27 Again, you need a decent unit. And they're mostly a lot cheaper than a
28 computer, so if they take the hit rather than your computer you're quids
29 in whatever. But even if they're a not-very-good unit, if your local
30 power is crappy they should clean it up and protect your computer to
31 some extent.
32 >
33 > Note that my lightning problem happened at night with both computer
34 > and monitor powered down (but still connected to a wall outlet through
35 > an interrupted extension; hence the "not-so-smart" self-qualifying...)
36 >
37 The problem is, I'm in an area where the protection these things provide
38 is pretty redundant - I'd probably be fine without them. If you need
39 them, as I said the danger is they're overwhelmed right at the start and
40 then your kit gets damaged along with the surge protector and UPS ...
41
42 Cheers.
43 Wol