From: Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] console scrollback (kernel 5.14)
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 21:22:38
1 On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 6:24 PM antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 Hello, Wol and Dale
4 > When you rebuild it, get a surge protector and then put a UPS behind
5 > that ... snag is that's all extra expense :-(
8 Surge protectors: I googled it and mostly got bad reviews. Do they
9 _really_work? What would you recommend? It probably should be
10 something amazon-purchasable! Availability in my country is probably
11 limited (and overpriced to boot, I bet).
12
13 UPS: never gave it serious thought, I had the impression there was too
14 much unclear stuff: for example, is it noisy (does it need a fan)? If
15 (when) some component needs replacement will I know it before
16 disaster? And does the replacement require a "qualified technician"? (
17 Dale's description is not very reassuring!)
18
19 Note that my lightning problem happened at night with both computer
20 and monitor powered down (but still connected to a wall outlet through
21 an interrupted extension; hence the "not-so-smart" self-qualifying...)
22
23 Thanks for your suggestions
24
25 Jorge