From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't boot from livecd
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 11:06:43
1 071007 Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > Philip Webb schrieb:
3 >> more generally you could try to install from Knoppix
4 >> -- that's what I used when I installed my current system 4 years ago --
5 >> or the simple but powerful System Rescue ( http://www.sysresccd.org/ ),
6 >> which I plan to use when I install Gentoo on my soon-to-be-built box
7 >> (it actually mentions installing Gentoo as a good use in its docs).
8 >> I made a Gentoo Live CD for 'amd64', but am not impressed:
9 >> unlike the other two, it couldn't use my full monitor resolution
10 >> & it also boots into a Gnome desktop (ugh & grin).
11 > Don't forget that you need a AMD64 livecd
12 > if you want to install an AMD64 system.
13 > There is no such thing like Knoppix64 but you should be fine
14 > with every other livecd, for example Ubuntu64 CDs.
15
16 You are probably correct that that mb a problem with Knoppix,
17 but System Rescue 0.4.0 has a 'rescue64' kernel for that purpose
18 (it came out the day after I wrote a CD using 0.3.8 ... ):
19 hopefully, the 0.4.0 wb sufficient to get the installation going.
20 I plan to use a USB stick to copy the necessary Gentoo files
21 from my existing machine, whose system wb reproduced
22 for 64 bits & dual-core CPU. Further advice & comments are welcome.
26 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
27 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
28 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
29 --
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list