From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 14:38:28
1 Am Fri, Dec 09, 2022 at 02:27:07PM +0000 schrieb Peter Humphrey:
2 > On Friday, 9 December 2022 13:38:32 GMT Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
3 >
4 > > ...I never really bothered with live TV recordings in recent years. These
5 > > days, if I find something interesting, I download the show form the TV
6 > > channel’s website (called Mediathek in Germany, a word play on Bibliothek,
7 > > meaning library). Interestingly though, the picture quality is noticably
8 > > worse than what I receive via DVB-T.
9 >
10 > I do nearly the opposite: I record every TV programme I want to watch, then
11 > watch it at my leisure.
12
13 This summer I bought my first TV ever since I live on my own – after about
14 20 years of not having one. I haven’t missed TV and still don’t (just wanted
15 a bigger screen for movies played from the PC and to relax on the couch in
16 the evening).
17
18 > That way I can skip through all the adverts, which I loathe [1].
19
20 Who doesn’t? With my little antenna, I get all the public stations with good
21 quality and no ads, but I don’t care for the encrypted private, ad-financed
22 channels for which I need to pay a yearly fee these days (on top of the
23 mandatory public TV “tax”).
24
25 > Freesat in the UK allows recording of radio series as well, which Sky
26 > cannot do, so it's easy to capture late-night series and listen to them at
27 > my convenience. I have something like 600 radio programmes on my satellite
28 > box.
29
30 Ooof, I listen to podcasts and can barely keep up, time-wise. To have a
31 conneciton to the original topic: I still have lots of movies and series on
32 the NAS which I haven’t even started to watch.
33
34 > 1. Mind you, UK TV adverts are nowhere near as gross as the screeching
35 > horrors I was subjected to in Minneapolis 30 years ago.
36
37 I can only imagine.
40 Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla’
41 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
42
43 Bees aren’t at all hard working, they just can’t fly any slower.