From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ansible, puppet and chef
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 09:34:19
1 On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 12:19:37 PM Eray Aslan wrote:
2 > On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 10:43:18PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > Puppet seems to me a good product for a large site with 1000 hosts.
4 > > Not so much for ~20 or so.
5 >
6 > I find that for a few machines, puppet is overkill. For a lot of
7 > machines, puppet can become unmanageable - with puppet master and
8 > security being the culprit.
9 >
10 > We have used puppet a lot but recently settled on salt (strictly
11 > speaking not my decision so cannot really compare it with ansible) and
12 > we are happy with the outcome. You might want to consider
13 > app-admin/salt as well.
14
15 Looks good (had a really quick look).
16 From what I read (and please correct me if I'm wrong), a difference between
17 salt and ansible is:
18
19 Salt Requires a daemon to be installed and running on all machines
20 and the versions need to be (mostly) in sync
21
22 For Alan, this might work, but for my situation it wouldn't, as I'd need to
23 keep various VMs in sync with the rest where I'd prefer to simply clone them
24 and then enforce changes. Relying on SSH and powershell makes that simpler.
25
26 But, it does mean that all nodes need to have incoming ports open. With Salt,
27 all nodes connect back to the master. This allows a tighter security.
30 Joost