From: Jonas de Buhr <jonas.de.buhr@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Should I be worried that I won't be able to dual boot in Gentoo?
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 20:21:48
1 >> yes, there will most likely be a technical way to circumvent it. the
2 >> problem is that involved companies might try (and likely succeed) to
3 >> make that illegal.
4 >> the reasoning will be this: it is assumed that you only make that
5 >> modification to run pirated copies of commercial operating systems.
6 >>
7 >> that you will also need that mod to run free operating systems on it
8 >> will just not count. at least not for commercially offering the mod.
9 >> just look at decss. or playstation mod chips.
10 >
11 >I thought this is where we already are?
12
13 yes, this weird way of thinking is already established and seems to be
14 widely accepted. my point is that it is going to be applied to UEFI
15 cracking. meaning: a technical solution for this will not help us at
16 all.