From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dhcp delays when booting (wicd)
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 00:50:58
1 On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 12:38:43 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 >> I've been using wicd for quite awhile on my laptop and it works fine
5 >> with both wired and wireless interfaces. However I'm using it more
6 >> lately where I have to boot the machine from scratch. In this case I
7 >> face a rather long delay once or possibly twice during boot.
8 >> Basically, the boot scripts say the networking interfaces aren't
9 >> turned on so it attempts to run dhcpd. I do not enable nor have I even
10 >> added net.eth0 or net.wlan0 in rc-update. (I think that's correct, and
11 >> it does work.)
12 >
13 > Do you have this in /etc/rc.conf?
14 >
15 > rc_hotplug="!net.*"
16 >
17 > Without it, hotplug will try to start the network even if the net.*
18 > scripts aren't in your runlevel.
21 > --
22 > Neil Bothwick
23 >
24 > Top Oxymorons Number 41: Good grief
25
26 Ah, is that the one Joost was talking about?!@? Made the change and
27 now I'm booting quickly and networking (wireless anyway as I'm not
28 near a wired connector right now) is fine when I log into KDE.
29
30 Thanks to both you and Joost.
31
32 Cheers,