From: Mark Kirkwood <markir@××××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] BIG reiserfs problem
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 11:38:55
1 CapSel wrote:
2 > It's now more than five times when reiserfs has "sucked my data into
3 > /dev/null". At the begining I thout that was a hardware problem -
4 > disk, ram... but now I am almost 100% sure that reiserfs IS NOT stable
5 > file system. It doesn't matter if I have gentoo-sources or
6 > hardened-sources, if I compile for my arch or for i386... heavy load
7 > or just one rsync process, gentoo or slackware (I thought that I gave
8 > "bad" CFLAGS, USE...).
9 > ...it lacked support for SEcurity labels some time ago...
10 > But it is still fastest fs.
11 > Am I the only one who have this problem?
12 > So my question is - how can I help to eliminate this bug(s)?
15 I've used Linux for many years - the *only* times I have ever lost data
16 has been due to reiserfs file corruption.... and both times I had / and
17 /usr mounted as reiserfs, so I'd recommend avoiding it on these two
18 filesystems anyway!
19
20 I'd recommend changing to ext3 or xfs, as I've found both to be solid (I
21 prefer xfs but that just my personal opinion).
22
23 Cheers
24
25 Mark