From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone with experience viewing EXIF data in Dolphin?
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2019 03:40:46
1 On 6/7/19 4:31 am, Mick wrote:
2 > On Friday, 5 July 2019 21:22:31 BST Andrew Udvare wrote:
3 >> On 05/07/2019 15:37, Andrew Lowe wrote:
4 >>> Hi all,
5 >>> I'm transferring my install from a spinning disk to an SSD and
6 >>> decided to tidy up/customise/stuff up things as I go. I've recently
7 >>> taken a lot of photo's whilst travelling and I have the Coords in the
8 >>> EXIF data. What I would like is to be able to easily view this data.
9 >>> There is a thingy called "ReImage"[1] which allows for a right click
10 >>> within Dolphin and you can select an option to display the EXIF data in
11 >>> a dialogue box.
12 >
13 > I recall using an earlier version of this and it is a useful and easy submenu
14 > option to apply ImageMagick on a file.
17 >>> I had to manually install this as I could find nothing on "Dolphin
18 >>> Service Menus" within Portage, or the Gentoo wiki or basically on line
19 >>> at all, so is there a Gentoo way of dealing with these in the first place?
20 >>
21 >> Not really. You can submit a bug or PR though as some of these do make
22 >> into the tree sometimes.
23 >>
24 >> $ eix --homepage store.kde.org
25
26 Shall do on this.
29 >>> Secondly, I then came across "kfilemetadata" in Portage. Without
30 >>> installing this as well, does this give the same thing? If so, how do
31 >>> you use this thing? Acutally, as I'm writing this, I'm still reserching
32 >>> and api.kde.org[2] says it's a library, so what apps use it?
33 >>
34 >> Not the same thing.
35 >>
36 >> kfilemetadata is solely a library and should be pulled in by other
37 >> packages that need it.
38 >>
39 >> You have to enable USE="semantic-desktop" to make Dolphin and others
40 >> pull it in and use it.
41 >
42 > If a GUI is not necessary and a semantic database indexing is not required,
43 > you can give exiftool a spin, which can be scripted with find to search your
44 > files and store them according to any exif tag.
47 I spent much time getting rid of the semantic desktop so that's that
48 last thing I need. I've given exiftools a go before and it gave me all I
49 needed so a combo of the right click and it will give me all I need.
50
51 Thanks for the comments,
52
53 Andrew