From: JimD <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Card reader weirdness
Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 15:30:10
1 Thierry de Coulon wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I've got an usb multi-card reader. The device does work, however since I run
5 > Gentoo it behaves a little different than before. Previously the reader would
6 > be indentified on boot (usually reserving /dev/sda to /dev/sdd). I set up
7 > those drives in /etc/fstab and created devices on the desktop to mount them
8 > as user.
9 >
10 > Since using Gentoo the reader apparently is not seen on boot (if no card is
11 > plugged in). When I plug a card in and try to mount it I get an error message
12 > (no such device). However, if I open a shell, fdisk the device, quit fdisk
13 > and close the shell, I can mount the card...
14 >
15 > So my guess is that I am missing a small something in my setup but I can't
16 > find what.
17 >
18 > Note that this is annoying, not much more :)
19 >
20 > Thierry
23 Plug the card in and try to mount it and get the error then run:
24
25 lsmod | sort > /tmp/before
26
27 Then do the fdisk thing that gets it to work and run:
28
29 lsmod | sort > /tmp/after
30
31 Now you can use vimdiff (or another diff)
32
33 vimdiff /tmp/before /tmp/after
34
35 This will show you if any module gets loaded that makes it work. If you
36 find a module in after but not in before, add it to
37 /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6
38
39 Jim
40 --