From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recommended printer?
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 15:23:08
1 On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann
2 <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > Am Donnerstag 20 Oktober 2011, 20:32:42 schrieb Michael J. Barillier:
4 >> I've wasted enough time beating on my current boat anchor of a printer
5 >> hoping it'll start working.  linuxprinting.org is currently offline, so
6 >> in the meantime does anyone have a suggestion for an inexpensive printer
7 >> that is known to work with cupsd and Gentoo?
8 >
9 > Samsung colour laser printer?
10 > CLP-315?
11 >
12 > not the latest model, was cheap to begin with. Works with cups. Works better
13 > when you copy two files from the samsung linux driver.
14
15 We have a SAMSUNG CLP-315 here at the office. I've managed to print to
16 it over the network from CUPS, so, yeah, it works. If you want color
17 presentable for anything more than powerpoint, though, go with an
18 inkjet over the SAMSUNG, or go with a higher-grade color laser from
19 someone else. There's no ICC profiles for these printers that I can
20 find, and the print dpi is terrible.
21
22 That said, the CLP-315 supports IPP out of the box, which makes it
23 trivial to add as a network printer from both Linux and Windows. It
24 certainly has that going for it. You'll want to set up two different
25 logical printers, though, one for color, one for black and white.
26 Otherwise, the printer will engage the color toner cartridges for b/w
27 print jobs, decrementing their life counters even if toner wasn't
28 really necessary for them.
31 :wq