From: "Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MCE in kernel
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 20:54:52
1 Thank you. I noticed that when I ran "make oldconfig" on a new kernel, the
2 configs were not what I'd expected. The wrong CPU type was configured.
3
4 Alan
5
6 On 9/5/07, Don Jerman <djerman@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >
8 > On 9/3/07, Alan E. Davis <lngndvs@×××××.com> wrote:
9 > > Thank you. I have solved the problem for now, but live in fear that
10 > there
11 > > is something untoward going in on my hardware.
12 > >
13 > Quite possible. It can also be caused by misconfiguring kernel
14 > drivers. I recently (accidently) selected the ATI agpart driver
15 > instead of the Intel driver. Most drivers correctly detect when their
16 > corresponding device isn't present, but this one gamely tried to
17 > manage the AGP bridge and fouled up memory whenever X started...
18 >
19 > So you may want to review your kernel config and make sure you have
20 > all the devices you're attempting to use.
21 > --
22 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
28 Alan Davis, Kagman High School, Saipan lngndvs@×××××.com
29
30 "An inviscid theory of flow renders the screw useless, but the need for one
31 non-existent."
32 ---Lord Raleigh (aka John William Strutt), or else his son,