From: Nicolas Sebrecht <nsebrecht@×××××.fr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Nicolas Sebrecht <nsebrecht@×××××.fr>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Managing multiple Gentoo systems
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 09:33:15
1 The 06/07/11, Grant wrote:
2 > >> After a frustrating experience with a Linksys WRT54GL, I've decided to
3 > >> stick with Gentoo routers.  This increases the number of Gentoo
4 > >> systems I'm responsible for and they're nearing double-digits.  What
5 > >> can be done to make the management of multiple Gentoo systems easier?
6 > >> I think identical hardware in each system would help a lot but I'm not
7 > >> sure that's practical.  I need to put together a bunch of new
8 > >> workstations and I'm thinking some sort of server/client arrangement
9 > >> with the only Gentoo install being on the server could be appropriate.
10 > >
11 > > I maintain multiple Gentoo we mostly use as KVM hosts systems (and
12 > > coming embedded routers). As KVM hosts, some of them are very sensible.
13 > > Due to the contracts to our customers, I have to do with various update
14 > > strategies on top of various hardware.
15 >
16 > Thanks to everyone for some very juicy tidbits. I'm rearranging my
17 > thinking on all of this. I think the key for me may be to combine
18 > systems with separate functions in the same physical location into a
19 > single system. Does the KVM thing work well?
20
21 KVM itself works very well here, even with advanced features such as KSM
22 pages sharing.
23
24 The difficulties come with Microsoft products for both good integration
25 and perfomance (I would recommend RAW format, iSCSI or plain physical
26 partition instead of qcow2, for example). That beeing said, I finally
27 have all working well for XP, NT2003 and 2008 servers.
28
29 I use libvirt on top of KVM which is in the way to become very good AFA
30 you don't rely on libvirt's API which tend to move a lot.
31
32 > Running a bunch of
33 > workstations as nothing more than wireless KVM setups on the same
34 > system? I should be able to cut my Gentoo systems down to just a few.
35 > Basically one at each physical location.
36
37 I would be much sceptical for both workstations and wireless guests than
38 for servers:
39
40 1) For workstations, things are currently changing with the very recent
41 and "not much usable with Gentoo, yet" spice software. I expect a lot of
42 improvments in the coming months for this use case. I would say it's not
43 ready for production, yet.
44
45 2) About wireless virtualization it's highly depending on what you aim
46 to do, especially if you intend to use the PCI passthrough feature to
47 give your wireless card to a guest. For this to work, you MUST have your
48 hardware (CPU, motherboard and PCI card) VT-d compatible which is
49 currently NOT a piece of cake, today. It relies on industry and
50 manufacturers moving not as fast as software. I would expect more widely
51 VT-d cards in the coming _years_.
52
53 Now, if you intend to use the wireless card from you hosts and share
54 networks using bridge utilities it _MAY_ be OK: Linux bridging does not
55 always work with all wireless cards (see http://tinyurl.com/ylcutwv for
56 more information).
59 In a more general approach, when I hear "routers" and "wireless" I'm
60 more thinking _embedded_. KVM/qemu would only help you to build your
61 target systems.
64 For embedded (or tiny, at least) systems, I would not use LXC.
65
66 The drawback with Gentoo is that the current official uclibc stage3 for
67 embedded/tiny systems is obsolete and marked as experimental. In facts,
68 it's very _hard_ if not impossible to use it these days. Making your own
69 cross-compilation environment is not a piece of cake (too), even with
70 dedicated tools such as crossdev. This topic would ask its own book.
71 So, if you want to try Gentoo embedded save your time by working on
72 unofficial stage3.
75 Nicolas Sebrecht