From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Managing multiple Gentoo systems
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 16:16:23
1 >> >> After a frustrating experience with a Linksys WRT54GL, I've decided to
2 >> >> stick with Gentoo routers.  This increases the number of Gentoo
3 >> >> systems I'm responsible for and they're nearing double-digits.  What
4 >> >> can be done to make the management of multiple Gentoo systems easier?
5 >> >> I think identical hardware in each system would help a lot but I'm not
6 >> >> sure that's practical.  I need to put together a bunch of new
7 >> >> workstations and I'm thinking some sort of server/client arrangement
8 >> >> with the only Gentoo install being on the server could be appropriate.
9 >> >
10 >> > I maintain multiple Gentoo we mostly use as KVM hosts systems (and
11 >> > coming embedded routers). As KVM hosts, some of them are very sensible.
12 >> > Due to the contracts to our customers, I have to do with various update
13 >> > strategies on top of various hardware.
14 >>
15 >> Thanks to everyone for some very juicy tidbits.  I'm rearranging my
16 >> thinking on all of this.  I think the key for me may be to combine
17 >> systems with separate functions in the same physical location into a
18 >> single system.  Does the KVM thing work well?
19 >
20 > KVM itself works very well here, even with advanced features such as KSM
21 > pages sharing.
22 >
23 > The difficulties come with Microsoft products for both good integration
24 > and perfomance (I would recommend RAW format, iSCSI or plain physical
25 > partition instead of qcow2, for example). That beeing said, I finally
26 > have all working well for XP, NT2003 and 2008 servers.
27 >
28 > I use libvirt on top of KVM which is in the way to become very good AFA
29 > you don't rely on libvirt's API which tend to move a lot.
30 >
31 >>                                                Running a bunch of
32 >> workstations as nothing more than wireless KVM setups on the same
33 >> system?  I should be able to cut my Gentoo systems down to just a few.
34 >>  Basically one at each physical location.
35 >
36 > I would be much sceptical for both workstations and wireless guests than
37 > for servers:
38 >
39 > 1) For workstations, things are currently changing with the very recent
40 > and "not much usable with Gentoo, yet" spice software. I expect a lot of
41 > improvments in the coming months for this use case. I would say it's not
42 > ready for production, yet.
43 >
44 > 2) About wireless virtualization it's highly depending on what you aim
45 > to do, especially if you intend to use the PCI passthrough feature to
46 > give your wireless card to a guest. For this to work, you MUST have your
47 > hardware (CPU, motherboard and PCI card) VT-d compatible which is
48 > currently NOT a piece of cake, today. It relies on industry and
49 > manufacturers moving not as fast as software. I would expect more widely
50 > VT-d cards in the coming _years_.
51 >
52 > Now, if you intend to use the wireless card from you hosts and share
53 > networks using bridge utilities it _MAY_ be OK: Linux bridging does not
54 > always work with all wireless cards (see http://tinyurl.com/ylcutwv for
55 > more information).
58 > In a more general approach, when I hear "routers" and "wireless" I'm
59 > more thinking _embedded_. KVM/qemu would only help you to build your
60 > target systems.
63 > For embedded (or tiny, at least) systems, I would not use LXC.
64 >
65 > The drawback with Gentoo is that the current official uclibc stage3 for
66 > embedded/tiny systems is obsolete and marked as experimental. In facts,
67 > it's very _hard_ if not impossible to use it these days. Making your own
68 > cross-compilation environment is not a piece of cake (too), even with
69 > dedicated tools such as crossdev. This topic would ask its own book.
70 > So, if you want to try Gentoo embedded save your time by working on
71 > unofficial stage3.
72 >
73 > --
74 > Nicolas Sebrecht
75
76 I think I'm guilty of assumption regarding your original reference to
77 KVM. I assumed you mean keyboard-video-mouse:
78
79 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KVM_switch
80
81 but now I think you meant Kernel-based Virtual Machine:
82
83 http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Main_Page
84
85 And now that I look more closely at KVM switches, it looks like they
86 provide a method of controlling multiple computers via a single
87 keyboard, monitor, and mouse. I need sort of the inverse. I'd like
88 to control a single Gentoo computer via multiple sets of keyboards,
89 monitors, and mice simultaneously. It would basically be a way to
90 have the functionality of multiple workstations but the administration
91 hassle of only a single system. Wireless communication between the
92 computer and each keyboard-monitor-mouse would be most convenient, but
93 that may not be possible so wired would be fine. Does something like
94 this exist?
95
96 - Grant