From: "de Almeida
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] non-existing/masked ebuilds during upgrade from2005.1 to 2006.1
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 17:55:00
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Albert Hopkins [mailto:marduk@g.o]
3 >
4 > On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 12:54 -0400, de Almeida, Valmor F. wrote:
5 > > emerge -eav world
6 > >
7 > > The corresponding system emerge finished okay. At the beginning of
8 the
9 > > output of the aforementioned command I get.
10 > >
11 > > Calculating world dependencies \
12 > > !!! Ebuilds for the following packages are either all
13 > > !!! masked or don't exist:
14 > > media-video/nvidia-glx media-video/nvidia-kernel app-shells/csh
15 > > x11-misc/gtkdiff sci-libs/lapack
16 > >
17 > > I can't find sci-libs/lapack (emerge --search lapack). Could someone
18 > > tell me how is portage looking for it? I think I had it installed
19 > > before
20 > > the upgrade. None of the nvidia stuff is currently installed but
21 were
22 > > installed before the system emerge. I can't find gtkdiff but csh is
23 > > indeed masked:
24 >
25 > Put simply, your current system is old, but it appears you've updated
26 > your portage tree.
27
28 Indeed system has been upgraded with gcc 4.1; it was a bit tricky.
29
30 > Portage is telling you that you have these packages
31 > installed but it can't find them in the portage tree. For example,
32 > nvidia-glx has long been replaced by nvidia-drivers.
33 >
34 > In the Gentoo world, you stand to suffer a bit if you wait a long time
35 > between updates. If you truly intend to keep your system "old", I
36 would
37
38 Yup.
39
40 > recommend you make a snapshot of the portage tree as well as your
41 > DISTDIR as those files may no longer be available as well.
42 >
43 > But if you truly want to do an "upgrade", would it not be better to do
44 a
45 > "emerge -Duva" world as opposed to "emerge -eva". "-eva" isn't
46 > upgrading anything, it's just re-building what you already have, but
47 > since many things you have currently no longer exist in portage, it's
48 > likely better to -u instead of -e.
49
50 Agreed. I used -e in the last upgrade step of system to rebuild it with
51 gcc 4.1 and ended up using for world.
54 > p.s.
55 > Seems like a few people are just now "upgrading" to 2006.1 when 2007.0
56 > is soon to be released... why are you a year behind?
57
58 There was something weird about 2006; it went by too fast....:)
61 > --
62 > Albert W. Hopkins
63 >
64 > --