From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] smartctrl drive error @60%
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 17:16:25
1 On 06/26/2014 05:57 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 >
3 > Take care of the environmental factors, and statistics fall in your
4 > favour making the odds good you'll get the life you expect
7 Yep, but sometimes crap just fails for no reason whatsoever. As an
8 example, my old house had central A/C and never went above 23.5 C in the
9 summer and was typically 19 C in winter. All machines on their own UPS
10 boxes. Oddly enough most failures I've seen were from drives on 24x7 and
11 for whatever reason I had to shut them down and they would not power up
12 again. I still lost a quite a few drives there, regardless.
13
14 Computer hardware fails. I just say "shit happens" and move on. ;-)
15
16 Oh, and I make sure critical stuff is in more than two places. What I
17 consider critical is likely less than 5% of my total storage.
18
19 Dan