From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Clashing dependencies in KDE
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 14:47:19
1 On Thursday 11 December 2014 12:18:28 Hinnerk van Bruinehsen wrote:
2 > if [I were] in your place I'd try [running] emerge @world -uvDNta (the
3 > most important one here is the -t for showing the dependency tree, you
4 > could also play with --backtrack=30 to resolve possible issues with the
5 > dependency calculation), after you removed the keyword stuff you just
6 > added.
7
8 I thought someone would say that. The -t, I mean. Of course I did try it,
9 but I already knew it wouldn't help because portage can't complete the
10 dependency calculation.
11
12 > From your fist statement (required by >=kde-base/kdepimlibs-4.14:4) I
13 > guess that you keyworded something that depends on kdepimlibs or
14 > kdepimlibs itself in the past.
15
16 $ cat /etc/portage/package.keywords
17 sci-misc/boinc
18 ~sci-calculators/qalculate-units-0.9.4
19 sys-apps/portage
20
21 [...]
22
23 > As a final straw (or first option - depending on you preferences) you
24 > could resync the tree: maybe you've gotten an incomplete version/revbump
25 > that already is resolved in later versions of the tree.
26
27 That did it - thanks. I see we have a new version of KDE today, and the
28 changes to the tree had only been partly completed. I should have thought of
29 that myself.
30
31 Now to shut KDE down and upgrade it...
34 Rgds
35 Peter.
36
37 PS. Am I right in thinking that two verb constructs in everyday English are
38 absent from German? I have the pluperfect tense and the subjunctive mood in
39 mind. We also don't have a rule that every verb in a sentence must be in the
40 same tense - in fact it's rarely so.
41
42 Just a passing observation; no offence meant.