From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [WAS: keyboard stops working] Recent kernels block the loading of non-GPL kernel modules
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 01:05:59
1 On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 7:14 PM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Anything you can do without the kernel source code is legal, sure. But
4 > we're talking about...
5 >
6 > 1. Downloading the kernel source (making a copy of) it.
7
8 You're receiving a copy of it. You don't need a license to download
9 something. You'll notice that even the RIAA doesn't sue people who
10 download music - they sue people who UPLOAD it. They are on far more
11 solid legal ground doing the latter.
12
13 > 2. Patching it.
14 > 3. Linking it with closed source code.
15
16 You're not linking the kernel with closed source code. You're linking
17 closed source code with the kernel. You're not making any changes to
18 the kernel itself in the process. I'm not even sure why you'd have to
19 patch the kernel.
20
21 > 4. Distributing the result.
22
23 You're distributing the closed source part that you wrote. You don't
24 have to redistribute the kernel, since the intended recipient of your
25 driver already has it. The only bits of the kernel that end up in the
26 code you distribute are some symbol names.
29 > Step #1 is illegal unless you have a licence. The burden of proof is on
30 > you to show that you were allowed to do it.
31
32 Please cite a law that says you're not allowed to receive a copy of a
33 copyrighted work without a license.
34
35 Even if that were so, the GPL gives you permission to make as many
36 unmodified copies of the kernel as you wish.
37
38 > I'm not going to go look up whatever statute says "you can't make a copy
39 > of copyrighted stuff" =P
40
41 You're not copying anything that is copyrighted by Linus and co, and
42 that is my point. Just what is AMD/Nvidia distributing that Linus
43 wrote?
46 Rich