From: Paul Hoy <paul.hoy@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo or Linux from Scratch - Perspectives?
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 01:48:00
1 On Aug 14, 2005, at 8:58 PM, Holly Bostick wrote:
2
3 > Paul Hoy schreef:
6 >> On Aug 14, 2005, at 5:24 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
9 >>> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 15:42:19 -0400, Paul Hoy wrote:
10 >>>
11 >>>
12 >>>
13 >>>> I really like Gentoo and I like that fact that it does a pretty
14 >>>> good
15 >>>> job at supporting Gnome, however, it's still behind other releases,
16 >>>> such as Fedora, in terms of when it releases updates, etc.
17 >>>>
18 >>>>
19 >>>
20 >>> Gentoo has rolling updates, so it is always up to date. If you
21 >>> want to
22 >>> run the latest of everything you will need to run a ~arch system.
23 >>> There
24 >>> are no releases for Gentoo beyond the installation live CDs. Once
25 >>> installed, provided you keep up to date, there is no difference
26 >>> between a
27 >>> system installed three years ago and one installed yesterday.
28 >>>
29 >>>
30 >>> --
31 >>> Neil Bothwick
32 >>>
33 >>> Windows Error #09: Game Over. Exiting Windows.
34 >>>
35 >>>
36 >>
37 >> Hi Neil,
38 >>
39 >> ~arch is a little scary for me, since it's not in the stable branch.
40 >>
41 >> Paul
44 > Well, that's understandable, if that's the way you are, but "you"
45 > (generic) can't have it both ways.
46
47 > If you want the latest upstream release of whatever, it's not
48 > necessarily going to be stable... all newly-released software is
49 > subject
50 > to bugs that only come out with use of the kind that only freaky ol'
51 > users can conceive.
54 No, I want it one way: to receive the latest stable releases. I
55 didn't say anything about unstable or testing releases.
56
57 > No distribution marks anything stable until it's old enough to have
58 > been
59 > worked to death to get the bugs out. Which is fine.
60 >
61 > Nobody's making anybody use ~, and if you (generic) value stability,
62 > you're already used to waiting. It's true that there is a backlog of
63 > submitted ebuilds on b.g.o... some of them are perfectly stable (but
64 > just aren't in actual Portage yet), some need some help before they'll
65 > work properly (because the ebuild writer made some mistakes along the
66 > way). I've been following the taskjuggler b.g.o ebuild for a couple of
67 > months, and that just made it into Portage yesterday. But I've had
68 > taskjuggler for a couple of months (had to hack the ebuild to get
69 > it to
70 > compile). I'm looking forward to upgrading to the new ebuild to see if
71 > all of the kinks have been ironed out.
72
73 This is good to hear. I plan to investigate this ebuilds further.
76 > Almost all Linux software is a constantly-evolving WIP, and
77 > conforming a
78 > WIP to a distribution which itself is a WIP is a big job. The only way
79 > it can "succeed" in terms of being considered temporarily stable is to
80 > freeze things at some point.
81 >
82 > RedHat (Fedora) and other binary distros do this themselves (you won't
83 > get thus-and-so version of X application until they've worked out the
84 > kinks between the app and the distro).
85
86 This is not the case with Fedora. Fedora is generally seen (and
87 experienced) as a test-bed, if you like, for Red Hat.
88
89 > Gentoo relies on you to do this
90 > for yourself. Mask all of unstable if that's how you want it (and wait
91 > for it to propagate down). Or unmask specific programs that you're
92 > willing to deal with some possible instability in order to 'keep up
93 > with
94 > the Joneses'. Or just live wild and run completely unstable (which
95 > usually works, but can go horribly, horribly wrong on occasion-- I
96 > still
97 > haven't gotten over the PAM debacle that ate my previous Gentoo
98 > install).
99 >
100 > It's up to you. It always is, with Gentoo... which is why I love it.
101 >
102 > But I don't so much see what there is to debate about-- your system is
103 > *yours*; run it the way you want.
104 >
105 Again, if you see the original email. This wasn't about a debate. It
106 was about getting perspectives from people who used both LFS and Gentoo.
107
108 Thanks, Holly.
109
110 > Holly