From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo or Linux from Scratch - Perspectives?
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 08:36:51
1 On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 21:39:39 -0400, Paul Hoy wrote:
2
3 > No, I want it one way: to receive the latest stable releases. I
4 > didn't say anything about unstable or testing releases.
5
6 testing/stable refers to the ebuild, not the upstream package. If you
7 want the latest, install the ~arch ebuild and report any problems you
8 find. That's how a community distribution works, you can't just expect to
9 be given the latest package on the day of release without some effort on
10 your part. The stable tree is for those who want tried and tested
11 software and ebuild, version chasers should use testing.
12
13 I run testing on three architectures with far less problems than I had
14 with Mandrake Cooker (and I didn't have too many of those) so don't think
15 that testing means unstable, unreliable or dodgy in some way. All it
16 really means is unproven, and the only way for it to move from there to
17 stable is for people to use it.
21 Neil Bothwick
22
23 Iraqi terrorist, Khay Rahnajet, didn't pay enough postage on a
24 letter bomb. It came back with "return to sender" stamped on it.
25 Forgetting it was the bomb, he opened it and was blown to bits.