From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Want to seriously test a NEW hard drive
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 09:37:04
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 22:22:25 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> I used something called Gparted to partition this monster. This is
5 >> temporary tho. What should I be using to partition this thing? What is
6 >> the best, and easiest, tool for me to use? I have been using cfdisk in
7 >> the past but it doesn't seem to work on this one.
8 > Do not use cfdisk on 2TB+ drives, it gives bad alignment. Use gdisk or
9 > cgdisk with GPT partition tables. Create a 1MB partition at the start of
10 > type EF02, which keeps backward compatibility, then partition as normal.
11 >
12 > Note that GPT has none of the primary/logical crap, just create the
13 > partitions you want.
17 Ahhhh, so that 1Mb partition is what does the alignment thingy? Is it
18 the same on all large drives or does it vary a bit based on size?
19
20 Thanks.
21
22 Dale
23
27 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!