From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cmdline image resizer understanding gamma ?
Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 17:54:50
1 On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 12:48 PM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 6:06 PM, Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o> wrote:
4 >> Hello!
7 >> I stumbled upon the article
8 >>
9 >>  Gamma error in picture scaling
10 >>  http://www.4p8.com/eric.brasseur/gamma.html#Use_a_correct_software
11 >>
12 >> recently.  I was actually pointed to it be some tool applying the proper
13 >> algortihm.  I think it was command line.
14 >
15 >> Especially as I don't trust ImageMagick with files that matter I would
16 >> love to find (or re-find) a command line tool that properly handles
17 >> Gamma when resizing images.  Needs be free software.  Anyone?
18 >
19 > ImageMagick works. I downloaded the Dalai Lama photo from that page
20 > and converted it by doing:
21 >
22 > convert -colorspace sRGB gamma_dalai_lama_gray.jpg -scale 50%% -set
23 > colorspace sRGB gamma_dalai_lama_gray50.png
24 >
25 > And the resulting image is correct.
26
27 I will add the disclaimer that it *appears* correct to me. It is not a
28 solid grey image like the "bad" examples on that page. I don't fully
29 understand what that page is talking about and most of it was a
30 whooosh over my head. :)