From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cmdline image resizer understanding gamma ?
Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 17:50:41
1 On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 6:06 PM, Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o> wrote:
2 > Hello!
5 > I stumbled upon the article
6 >
7 >  Gamma error in picture scaling
8 >  http://www.4p8.com/eric.brasseur/gamma.html#Use_a_correct_software
9 >
10 > recently.  I was actually pointed to it be some tool applying the proper
11 > algortihm.  I think it was command line.
12
13 > Especially as I don't trust ImageMagick with files that matter I would
14 > love to find (or re-find) a command line tool that properly handles
15 > Gamma when resizing images.  Needs be free software.  Anyone?
16
17 ImageMagick works. I downloaded the Dalai Lama photo from that page
18 and converted it by doing:
19
20 convert -colorspace sRGB gamma_dalai_lama_gray.jpg -scale 50%% -set
21 colorspace sRGB gamma_dalai_lama_gray50.png
22
23 And the resulting image is correct.