From: thelma@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Qustions re Dell M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drives under Gentoo
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 23:45:17
1 On 5/27/21 3:05 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > It was nice to have a newer "hot backup" (XPS8940) to switch over to
3 > quickly when an older machine started locking up occasionally. Now I
4 > need a "hot backup" for the newer machine that I ordered last October.
5 > Dell Inspirons seem to top out at 12 gigs ram, so I'm looking for an XPS
6 > model in order to get more ram as the bloating of linux continues. All
7 > current XPS models seem to have 256G or 512G M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State
8 > drives in the base configuration. Questions...
9 >
10 > * do NVMe drives function well under Gentoo (driver issues, etc)?
11 >
12 > * how long do they hold up (wear and tear)?
13 >
14 > * can I simply disable them if I run into problems?
15 >
16 > If someone can suggest an alternate supplier to Dell, that ships to
17 > greater Toronto, at similar prices, I'd be willing to take a look at
18 > them.
19
20 I have M.2 in four machines (recently assembled).
21 2 - Run on Gentoo (one 1TB and one 2TB)
22 2 - Run on Windows 10 (had no choice :-/)
23
24 Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB and 2TB PCI-Express Gen 4.0 x4 NVMe
25
26 All boxes are running very well, and stable, no issue with drivers. You just need to enable some options in the kernel (I think, very simple).
27 Make sure your Motherboard and CPU is compatible with "PCI-Express Gen 4.0" or it makes not sense buying expensive NVME just to run Gen. 3