From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] printing protocols
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 18:23:04
1 Iain Buchanan <iaindb <at> netspace.net.au> writes:
2
3 > I'm playing around with a new printer at work (Xerox Document Center
4 > C360). It's a bit of a monster, but it does have some good features.
5 > Anyway, I'm wondering what protocol I should use to talk to it? I did a
6 > port scan and found these ports open:
7 > 80 http
8 > 111 sunrpc
9 > 139 netbios-ssn
10 > 515 printer
11 > 631 ipp
12 > 1025 ?
13 > 1605 ?
16 Hello Iain,
17 ipp (631) gets my vote. You can use cups with ipp and here's some docs,
18 should you not be successful via the cups gui interfaces
19 [1,2]
20
21 Here's a simple example I use to get printing up on new systems:
22 (/etc/cups/printers.conf)
23
24 <DefaultPrinter LaserJet>
25 Info LaserJet
26 DeviceURI socket://192.168.2.3
27 State Idle
28 Accepting Yes
29 JobSheets none none
30 QuotaPeriod 0
31 PageLimit 0
32 KLimit 0
33 </Printer>
34
35 The gui in cups then picks up the config and you can
36 use the gui to manage the printer hereafter. The gui
37 via cups is not fully robust, in my experience. YMMV.
38
39 More elaborate configs are often warranted. This simple config
40 gets the ethernet on a HP laserjet working, very quickly.
41 After it initially prints, I usually comb the net for
42 support of the advanced features you want/need.
43
44 > I've so far tried printing via a samba share on our server, which seems
45 > to work; and direct using ipp, which worked.
46
47 > My question is really what's the difference? Are some features
48 > supported better on some protocols? Are some faster / less resource
49 > intensive?
50
51 Dunno if anyone has benchmarked these choices....
52
53 > I'm using cups and gimp-print to get the driver for it.
54 > I'd appreciate any info. Thanks!
55
56 Here are a few more resources to ponder:
59 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/printing-howto.xml#cups
60 [2] http://localhost:631/sam.html
61 [3] http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdebase/kdeprint/cups-ipp-support.html
62 [4] http://linuxprinting.org/printer_list.cgi