From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Following a well overdue world -u I have no network
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 03:46:51
1 On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:26:30 -0500
2 Roy Wright wrote:
3
4 > Harry Putnam wrote:
5 >
6 > >Followin a well overdue emerge world -u I have no network on reboot.
7 > >
8 > >The pieces seem to be there, although I'm not sure I remember what all
9 > >goes into it.
10 > >
11 > >/etc/conf.d/net has the eht0 address and gateway address but its not
12 > >getting set on bootup.
13 > >
14 > >I can ifconfig and route it into place of course but wondering why it
15 > >isn't just happening like before the update.
16 > >
17 > >I went thru the new conf files with etc-update and seemingly was
18 > >carefull to get them right or merged etc.
19 > >
20 > >Another very disturbing phenomena is that a mail spool directory I've
21 > >used for years in ~/spool is getting deleted by something. This is
22 > >not tolerable of course since all mail resides there at least until it
23 > >is slurped by my emacs/gnus reader.
24 > >
25 > >I did notice some rsnaphot errors on first reboot that indicated a
26 > >needed parameter (`config_version') was missing from my conf files.
27 > >Must be someting new in rsnapshot since those confs worked fine
28 > >prior to update. I went ahead and added the parameter:
29 > > config_version 1.2 to each conf and recieved no more errors.
30 > >
31 > >What steps do I need to track down the network not getting setup and
32 > >the mysterious deletions?
33 > >
34 > >Can some one just list the various files that contain the needed
35 > >network settings. Maybe I've inadvertantly overwritten something.
36 > >
37 > >Any ideas how to track donw what is deleting ~/spool?
42 > For the network problem:
43
44 first thing to know - have you updated your config files with
45 etc-update or dispatch-conf?
48 > hostname and domainname migrated from /etc to /etc/conf.d
49 >
50 > check /etc/conf.d/net for something like:
51 > iface_eth0="dhcp"
52 >
53 > check dmesg
54 >