From: Roy Wright <royw@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Following a well overdue world -u I have no network
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 03:34:41
1 Harry Putnam wrote:
2
3 >Followin a well overdue emerge world -u I have no network on reboot.
4 >
5 >The pieces seem to be there, although I'm not sure I remember what all
6 >goes into it.
7 >
8 >/etc/conf.d/net has the eht0 address and gateway address but its not
9 >getting set on bootup.
10 >
11 >I can ifconfig and route it into place of course but wondering why it
12 >isn't just happening like before the update.
13 >
14 >I went thru the new conf files with etc-update and seemingly was
15 >carefull to get them right or merged etc.
16 >
17 >Another very disturbing phenomena is that a mail spool directory I've
18 >used for years in ~/spool is getting deleted by something. This is
19 >not tolerable of course since all mail resides there at least until it
20 >is slurped by my emacs/gnus reader.
21 >
22 >I did notice some rsnaphot errors on first reboot that indicated a
23 >needed parameter (`config_version') was missing from my conf files.
24 >Must be someting new in rsnapshot since those confs worked fine
25 >prior to update. I went ahead and added the parameter:
26 > config_version 1.2 to each conf and recieved no more errors.
27 >
28 >What steps do I need to track down the network not getting setup and
29 >the mysterious deletions?
30 >
31 >Can some one just list the various files that contain the needed
32 >network settings. Maybe I've inadvertantly overwritten something.
33 >
34 >Any ideas how to track donw what is deleting ~/spool?
39 For the network problem:
40
41 hostname and domainname migrated from /etc to /etc/conf.d
42
43 check /etc/conf.d/net for something like:
44 iface_eth0="dhcp"
45
46 check dmesg
47