From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Gentoo/GMail/download to Evolution
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 18:47:22
1 On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 12:37 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > He has just started switching from Time-Warner's Roadrunner cable
3 > modem service to Verizon's FIOS. His new link is up and his speed is
4 > very nice. (20Mb/S downlaod, 5Mb/S upload using Speakeasy.net to
5 > test.) The issue he is running into is that Roadrunner's SMTP server
6 > is not allowing him to send email, presumably because he's not on one
7 > of their IP address.
8
9 It could also be Verizon blocking you from connecting to other SMTP
10 servers, to prevent spam. You very well may be able to sent RR email
11 through Verizon's server. You also may be able to connect on
12 non-standard ports, or have Verizon lift the blocking for your account
13 (if in fact they are blocking it). I've never dealt with either of
14 those companies, but I know Southwestern Bell (later named SBC, later
15 named AT&T) DSL used to block SMTP and it was fairly painless to call
16 them and have the block removed.
17
18 > Anyway, he's thinking I need to convert him over to a Verizon email
19 > address but I was thinking that if he could continue using Evolution
20 > but send and receive through GMail it would be a better long term
21 > solution.
22
23 I think it is good advice to everyone to avoid using ISP e-mail
24 accounts. I learned the hard way when my ISP went out of business
25 overnight, try changing your e-mail address on sites when you don't
26 have access to the old address anymore to confirm that change. It's
27 almost impossible. Plus, people are afraid to change ISPs if they are
28 going to lose the address that all of their family, friends,
29 colleagues know them by. So I think the gmail idea sounds like a good
30 one (and you can set it to fetch his roadrunner/verizon mail, too).
31
32 > Is this a good idea and more importantly is this possible? What
33 > sort of issues will I have managing this for him.
34
35 Assuming he doesn't have any exotic e-mail scripts or folder structure
36 going on, I would use Gmail with IMAP, then he'll be able to access
37 his email at home and have the ability to check it via the web in case
38 he's ever out and about and needs access.