From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] --sync
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 20:43:25
1 On Sun, 31 Jul 2022 21:51:05 +0200, n952162 wrote:
2
3 > I've been running gentoo for years now, and every time I go to --sync,
4 > it's really a painful process.
5 >
6 > The process can take *very* before you find out if it succeeded or not.
7 >
8 > I try different repos.conf servers - one works for a while, then
9 > doesn't, then later, the new one doesn't work anymore and the old one
10 > works again.
11
12 I switched to using git for syncing, from github, and haven't looked
13 back. It is *much* faster, several times faster syncing from github than
14 using rsync to sync from a local mirror, and github is always there.
15
16 % cat /etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo.conf
17 [DEFAULT]
18 main-repo = gentoo
19
20 [gentoo]
21 priority = 20
22 location = /var/portage
23 sync-type = git
24 sync-uri = https://github.com/gentoo-mirror/gentoo
25 auto-sync = yes
29 Neil Bothwick
30
31 Cereal Killer Strikes Again! Cap'n Crunch found dead...