From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Unable to mount root fs on uknown - block (0,0)
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 20:20:25
1 > That's not very nice - I had no idea how to build a working kernel
2 > either when I first tried Gentoo. I just stumbled through it, hitting ?
3 > on every single option, and somehow got it to boot on the first try
4 > through sheer dumb luck.
5 > --
6
7 I was in the same boat as you. When I first install gentoo, I chose the stage1 tarball methods
8 just becuase I wanted to be forced to learn ever step. It took me about a week of re=reading the
9 docs and re-configuring the install until I learned how to get everything to work the way I
10 wanted.
11
12 If you really want to learn how to configure new kernels, the menuconfig has imbedded help docs
13 for each parameter. If you are curious about any options just read up on them. I've learned alot
14 this way, and each time a new kernel sources is released it gives you another opertunity to
15 increase your experience and knowledge with you configure these new kernels.
16
17 Regards,
18
19 Richard Broersma Jr.