From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: kernel linux-2.6.27-gentoo-r7 won't load network!
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 12:02:38
1 On Saturday 10 January 2009 12:26:09 Mick wrote:
2 > On Saturday 10 January 2009, Dale wrote:
3 > > Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > > > On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 22:37:44 +0000, Mick wrote:
5 > > >> Filed a bug and it was suggested to me that I try
6 > > >> building the alsa drivers as modules. I tried it on for size and
7 > > >> guess what, it worked!
8 > > >
9 > > > AFAIR the Gentoo ALSA docs have always recommended building as modules.
10 > >
11 > > And yet I have never used modules for anything except Nvidia. That has
12 > > worked for me over 5 years now. What a puzzle.
13 >
14 > Same here. With three different machines I had alsa built in the kernel,
15 > less that six months or so after alsa first became part of the kernel
16 > (can't remember if I was running stable back then).
17
18 My money says that if you track this down to the exact lines of code that
19 cause the problem, you'll find something along the lines of incorrect loading
20 order. As in, module A must load before module B, but you compiled B into the
21 kernel. Plus no dev picked it up and nobody coded a check for it.
22
23 I believe the correct technical term for this is "a software bug" :-)
24
25 It's usually worth the effort to report a bug, the least that can happen is
26 someone else's life is easier in the future
29 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com