From: Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Xen with Gentoo as dom0: sw or hw raid?
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 16:16:14
1 Hi Gentoo-users,
2
3 I'm going to build a small server with Xen-hypervisor with
4 Gentoo as dom0 (if it is possible). Comming from ESXi-world,
5 there is no choice (only true hw-raid is supported).
6
7 But what about Linux? What's preffered way to go? Software-raid
8 (mdadm), or true hardware raid-controller? I have a few spares
9 (LSI-9271), these worked quite well with ESXi but I'm not sure
10 they are supported by Linux at all, and if there is actually
11 some way of monitoring controller-health...
12
13 Concerning sw-raid, I have used it for quite some time, but
14 never with Xen (is it actually possible?). Moreover, grub-config
15 for Xen itself is somehow more complicated and sw-raid could add
16 extra complexity...
17
18 So the question is simple. For Xen-server with Gentoo as dom0,
19 what do you recommend: sofware- or hardware-raid?
20
21 Any other general tips concerning Xen (particularly with Gentoo
22 as dom0)?
23
24 Jarry
29 This mailbox accepts e-mails only from selected mailing-lists!
30 Everything else is considered to be spam and therefore deleted.