From: Paul Hoy <paul.hoy@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Beagle on Gentoo Reiserfs filesystem - Possible?
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 06:37:48
1 On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 08:00 +0300, Rumen Yotov wrote:
2 > Paul Hoy Gmail wrote:
3 >
4 > >Hello,
5 > >
6 > >I'm confused about running Beagle on a Gentoo reiserfs filesystem.
7 > >
8 > >Gentoo provides a HOWTO Beagle (http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Beagle)
9 > >and uses a reiserfs filesystem (included extended attributues) as an
10 > >example throughout. However, the Beagle Web site states in its FAQ
11 > >(http://www.beaglewiki.org/FAQ) that Beagle does not support Reiser4S:
12 > >"Reiser4 does not support the standard Linux extended attribute
13 > >interfaces, but instead implements its own. If/when Reiser4 supports
14 > >extended attributes, it will be supported."
15 > >
16 > >The Gentoo HOWTO wiki explains that a user should enable extended
17 > >attributes for his or her filesystems, and shows how you can do so
18 > >with Ext2. The author of the wiki says you can do the same with
19 > >reiserfs, but I don't recall seeing the option in the kernel (when I
20 > >configured it a couple of weeks ago).
21 > >
22 > >Finally, the Gentoo Wiki author adds the "user_xattr" option to the
23 > >reiserfs entry in fstab. This suggests that reiserfs is supported. The
24 > >fact that the option doesn't appear in the kernel, suggest that it's
25 > >not. And, the fact that the Beagle Web site says reiserfs is not
26 > >support Beagle also suggests that I can run Beagle on an reiserfs
27 > >filesystem.
28 > >
29 > >Any leads, hints, suggestions, solutions, answers?
33 > Hi,
34 > Using reiserfsprogs-3.6.19 (reiser-3) and also have extended-attributes
35 > support in kernel-config (reiser-3).
36 > Haven't checked but think/remember that reiserfs-4 has it's own
37 > security/encryption things (in filesystem).
38 > IMO above wiki in for reiserfs-3 only and will work with it.
39 > Extended-attr. for reiserfs are under reiserfs-config.
40 > HTH. Rumen
41
42 Hi Rumen,
43
44 Can you expand on your statement, "for reiserfs are under
45 reiserfs-config"? Is this a patch?
46
47 Thanks,
48 Paul