From: Rumen Yotov <rumen_yotov@×××.bg>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Beagle on Gentoo Reiserfs filesystem - Possible?
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 05:05:10
1 Paul Hoy Gmail wrote:
2
3 >Hello,
4 >
5 >I'm confused about running Beagle on a Gentoo reiserfs filesystem.
6 >
7 >Gentoo provides a HOWTO Beagle (http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Beagle)
8 >and uses a reiserfs filesystem (included extended attributues) as an
9 >example throughout. However, the Beagle Web site states in its FAQ
10 >(http://www.beaglewiki.org/FAQ) that Beagle does not support Reiser4S:
11 >"Reiser4 does not support the standard Linux extended attribute
12 >interfaces, but instead implements its own. If/when Reiser4 supports
13 >extended attributes, it will be supported."
14 >
15 >The Gentoo HOWTO wiki explains that a user should enable extended
16 >attributes for his or her filesystems, and shows how you can do so
17 >with Ext2. The author of the wiki says you can do the same with
18 >reiserfs, but I don't recall seeing the option in the kernel (when I
19 >configured it a couple of weeks ago).
20 >
21 >Finally, the Gentoo Wiki author adds the "user_xattr" option to the
22 >reiserfs entry in fstab. This suggests that reiserfs is supported. The
23 >fact that the option doesn't appear in the kernel, suggest that it's
24 >not. And, the fact that the Beagle Web site says reiserfs is not
25 >support Beagle also suggests that I can run Beagle on an reiserfs
26 >filesystem.
27 >
28 >Any leads, hints, suggestions, solutions, answers?
32 Hi,
33 Using reiserfsprogs-3.6.19 (reiser-3) and also have extended-attributes
34 support in kernel-config (reiser-3).
35 Haven't checked but think/remember that reiserfs-4 has it's own
36 security/encryption things (in filesystem).
37 IMO above wiki in for reiserfs-3 only and will work with it.
38 Extended-attr. for reiserfs are under reiserfs-config.
39 HTH. Rumen

smime.p7s application/x-pkcs7-signature