From: Paul Hoy Gmail <paulhoy@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Beagle on Gentoo Reiserfs filesystem - Possible?
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 03:47:38
1 Hello,
2
3 I'm confused about running Beagle on a Gentoo reiserfs filesystem.
4
5 Gentoo provides a HOWTO Beagle (http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Beagle)
6 and uses a reiserfs filesystem (included extended attributues) as an
7 example throughout. However, the Beagle Web site states in its FAQ
8 (http://www.beaglewiki.org/FAQ) that Beagle does not support Reiser4S:
9 "Reiser4 does not support the standard Linux extended attribute
10 interfaces, but instead implements its own. If/when Reiser4 supports
11 extended attributes, it will be supported."
12
13 The Gentoo HOWTO wiki explains that a user should enable extended
14 attributes for his or her filesystems, and shows how you can do so
15 with Ext2. The author of the wiki says you can do the same with
16 reiserfs, but I don't recall seeing the option in the kernel (when I
17 configured it a couple of weeks ago).
18
19 Finally, the Gentoo Wiki author adds the "user_xattr" option to the
20 reiserfs entry in fstab. This suggests that reiserfs is supported. The
21 fact that the option doesn't appear in the kernel, suggest that it's
22 not. And, the fact that the Beagle Web site says reiserfs is not
23 support Beagle also suggests that I can run Beagle on an reiserfs
24 filesystem.
25
26 Any leads, hints, suggestions, solutions, answers?
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list