From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 04:35:15
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > <SNIP>
3 > >
4 > > I got a old rig I can use.  I actually burned OpenNAS, TrueNAS or
5 > FreeNAS on a USB stick.  I can't recall which one I put on it tho.  I
6 > downloaded all three.  lol  If you know that one is better than the
7 > others, feel free to share.  Also, I'd like to keep using LVM if I
8 > can.  If nothing else, I already got the data on the drives and won't
9 > have to reformat and copy again.  It took almost 100 hours to copy to
10 > the new 16TB drive.  Using LVM would make that easier, and faster.
11 > >
12 > > I'll have to work with what I got for now but I really like the
13 > Raspberry option for its size and good options to upgrade later.  I'll
14 > just make do with something else until that option is doable.  Maybe
15 > it won't be to long.
16 > >
17 > > Dale
18 > >
19 > > :-)  :-)
20 >
21 > TrueNAS Core. It's the free one. Works great. Very stable, but it is
22 > BSD, not Linux so you'll be frustrated sometimes. None the less it
23 > works very well.
26 Well, I booted it and it is FreeNAS.  I got it on a USB stick tho.
27 Well, I put the installer on one stick and then installed on a second
28 stick.  Kinda odd but I get it.  I also noticed it is BSD based.  I
29 played with BSD once before.  One thing I can say, it's secure.  Big time.
30
31 I see it uses ZFS or something.  No mention of LVM.  I figured that.  Oh
32 well.
33
34 If I can't hammer FreeNAS into shape, I'll try TrueNAS next.  If it
35 works, that's fine too.  ;-)
36
37 Thanks.
38
39 Dale
40
42
43 P. S.  When I first booted, I didn't have the ethernet plugged in.  It
44 wasn't happy about that.  Given it is NAS software, I should have known
45 better.  ROFL