From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] How to get a backtrace from a core dump?
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 14:11:21
1 I need to get a backtrace from a core dump file. I followed the
2 instructions here:
3
4 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/backtraces.xml
5
6 I added -g to CFLAGS and splitdebug to FEATURES and built the
7 application with those new setting (that would be media-sound/lmms in
8 this case.) I then did "ulimit -c unlimited" and started the
9 application from that shell. I reproduced the crash and a core file was
10 successfully produced. But, when trying to get a backtrace, I get:
11
12 --------
13 gdb --core core --batch --quiet -ex "thread apply all bt full" -ex "quit"
14 [New Thread 3575]
15 [New Thread 3573]
16 [New Thread 3577]
17 Core was generated by `./lmms'.
18 Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
19 #0 0x0000003007b79985 in ?? ()
20
21 Thread 4 (Thread 3577):
22 #0 0x0000003000c0e07d in ?? ()
23 No symbol table info available.
24
25 Thread 3 (Thread 3573):
26 #0 0x0000003000c0b1fc in ?? ()
27 No symbol table info available.
28
29 Thread 2 (Thread 3575):
30 #0 0x000000306d44feac in ?? ()
31 No symbol table info available.
32
33 Thread 1 (Thread 3571):
34 #0 0x0000003007b79985 in ?? ()
35 No symbol table info available.
37
38 Then I re-emerged the application, canceled the emerge and did a manual
39 "make" in /var/tmp/portage so I get the unstripped lmms executable.
40 However, same thing as above happens. What am I missing?